Have you ever noticed how lively, light-hearted and productive you feel when you are happy?
Since childhood, every individual experiences different emotions in every phase of life. The definition of mental health not only lies in the state of being happy all the time. The challenge lies in converting your negative emotions to positive. From a school student who hasn’t scored the highest marks in the exam to a middle or old aged person who has lost his/her beloved due to specific reason, leaves a massive mental impact. It is quite understandable that such emotions hold intense bondage and thus, might be very difficult for anyone to overcome. Being in grief turns out to be a natural phase due to the loss of emotional bondage, but deep diving into these thoughts could be toxic for your well-being. Now, question yourself, how long are you going to be the same?
Being in a depressed or grief state not only hampers your work, schedule and productivity but also deteriorates your inner-self. The stages of depression might start from a very tiny state of not feeling good, and might worsen to a condition wherein the individual plans to commit suicide. Holding a stable and positive mindset not only helps in personal growth but also helps an individual to create a positive aura in the nearby surroundings.
Factors Affecting Mental Health
When it comes to mental-well being, there are few factors that might cause serious impact, and lead to mental-pain.
- Low self-esteem
- Harsh-life experiences
- Family breakup or loss
- Constant domestic abuse
- Sexuality issues
- Unemployment for a long-term
- Sleeping issues
- Serious medical condition
The factors mentioned above contribute to the majority when it comes to getting affected mentally. Now, let’s have a look at the core elements which helps an individual to stay mentally fit.
The Six Key Elements of Psychological Well-Being
An individual will be able to experience the best of his/her mind-state when the following factors are met accordingly:
- Personal growth
- Purpose in life
- Environmental mastery
- Positive relations with others
At a global front, the cases of mental health have got a positive inclination over the years. Severe deterioration of mental health for a longer duration might lead one to suffer from mental illness. Let’s have a look at the different types of mental illnesses that might occur in the long-term followed by certain data points.
Types of Mental Illness
When it comes to mental instability, an individual might suffer from any of the following disorders:
- Mood disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Personality disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse disorders
The Magnitude of Mental Health
The increasing number of mental health issues can be understood with the help of the following data.
- According to 2019 statistics, a global count of 800,000 people die by committing suicide every year.
- One of four families have at least one member suffering from mental health
- Before COVID-19 pandemic, the WHO had predicted 20% of the global population will be suffering from mental illness
- The mental illness in women turns higher (11.9%) than men (9.3%)
- As per 2018, the global mental health statistics are as follows:
- Anxiety: Affects 284 million
- Depression: Affects 264 million
- Intake of Alcohol: Affects 107 million
- Intake of Drug: Affects 71 million
- Bipolar Disorder: Affects 46 million
- Eating Disorder: Affects 16 million
Food for Mental Health
By now, we have got a clear picture of the intensity of mental health issues prevailing globally. One of the ways to get it decreased is to focus on food habits and develop a habit of mindful eating.
- Although intake of excess carbs is not preferred when it comes to fitness, consuming some amount of carbs releases mood-boosting chemicals in the brain. Few of the foods that can be consumed involve chocolates, cakes, cookies, etc.
- Protein-rich foods help in boosting alertness which can be easily grabbed by consuming fish, meat, beans and pulses
- Honey is an excellent mood enhancer which holds a calming effect. Rose Infused Premium White Honey is perfect go. Today, the concept of herb, spice and dry-fruit infused honey has been widely accepted that provides taste along with numerous health benefits. Here’s a range of 100% organic honey that can help you to boost your mood.
The grief and pain that one goes through holds an enormous potential that needs to be given a specific direction. Taking care of your overall health is a necessity because you can accelerate your hidden potential only when your mind and body are aligned accordingly.
It is to be understood that mental health plays a significant role when it comes to managing our lives. An individual with a good state of mind can make rational decisions both in personal and professional aspects. Prompt detection of mental health at the initial stage turns out to be a boon as it helps in the following ways:
- More remarkable improvement on the interpersonal and communication front
- Enhances the individual’s self-esteem
- Detection of any signs at the early stage allows one to proceed for the required treatment immediately
- Better clarity of mind
- The individual gets better control on emotions and self-expression
At times, an individual is not able to open up and seek help from professionals as it is seen as a taboo. In general, the majority of the population gives importance to physical health, and thus, mental health gets ignored. However, it is essential to understand that the formula to live a happy life is:
Healthy Body + Healthy Mind = Happy Life
As human beings, we always seek for someone who can listen and understand our issues, whom we can trust blindly and share the emotions that we feel. If you are looking for a helping hand who can be with you throughout this journey, Bhookha Haathi’s consultation experts are here to help you through mental health consultation. Our experts are here to listen to your condition patiently and will provide you with the necessary solutions to bring back that smile on your face. To have a word with your guide, contact us today!
Written By: Sultana Arifah
Sultana is a Digital Marketer Evangelist who is keen on exploring the different domains of the online business industry. A planner, strategist, ghostwriter by day, and a reader by night, her interest also lies in cooking, traveling, and listening to music.